Wednesday, August 20, 2014

28 & Learning To Just Live

When I set a goal, I'm blessed to say that I usually ALWAYS accomplish it and so far, all of my goals for 2014 have come to fruition. 

I traveled to London and Paris.



I landed a job using my degree.



 I've even broken out of my shell and become more social!





Pretty good year thus far, right?! I agree...but sometimes I find my mind wondering and before I know it, I have a mental list of news goals. 

If you don't set goals, it's hard to realize how far you've come but for me, I'm learning I need to give myself a little slack. Yesterday at lunch I had my " ah ha" moment.

As I snacked on my stir fry, I decided to catch up on my Instagram feed. Somehow I landed on Niemen Marcus's IG page. As I flipped thru the countless amounts of pictures posted by their marketing coordinator, I found myself thinking, "This. Is. My. Dream. Job. and I'm gonna get it!” By time lunch had passed, I found myself loathing the fact that I had to return back to work.

The problem is…my job is not bad all! I literally play on Facebook all day and write a few newsletters from time to time. Seriously, that’s what I get paid to do LOL! I shouldn’t be complaining, huh?! 

After I got back to my desk, I decided to search the LinkedIn pages of Niemen Marcus employees. After a full two hours had passed and a massive headache ensued, it occurred to me that my obsession with setting goals was getting a bit out of hand. I mean, once I get to Niemen Marcus (which I will), will I be able to just enjoy being there without setting my next goal? I can’t continue to obsess over what’s next for me because it’ll just become a vicious cycle.

Needless to say, when I said my prayers last night, I prayed for myself. I prayed that I find a balance between being ambitious and being content in my current situation. 

So at 28, I’m pledging to learn how to live in the moment. 

While I won’t be say goodbye to setting goals, I will find contentment in my current situation so when I reach my next goal, it’ll be that much sweeter.

xoxo, 

Stylishly, Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment